Doctor of Arts and Doctor of Science (Architecture)
The postgraduate degrees offered by the Aalto University School of Arts, Design and Architecture are Doctor of Arts and Doctor of Science (Architecture). The Degrees consists of a minimum of 80 credits and a doctoral dissertation. The recommended time of studies is approx. 4 years.
To take the Doctor of Arts or Doctor of Science degree the doctoral student must demonstrate that she/he
- is well versed in her/his own field of research and its social significance
- has gained knowledge and skills needed for applying scientific research methods independently and critically, as well as to produce new scientific knowledge within the field of research.
- is familiarized with the development, basic problems and research methods of her/his own field of research
- has gained such knowledge of the general theory of science and of other disciplines relating to her/his own field of research that will enable her/him to follow developments in them.
In order to take the degree of Doctor of Arts or Doctor of Science, the doctoral candidate must:
- Complete the required doctoral studies
- Demonstrate independent and critical thinking in their research field
- Write a doctoral dissertation and defend it in public
A dissertation can include an art production, a series of art productions meaningfully connected to each other, or a product development project. The art productions may only be new works. The written thesis must be suitable for publication.